Saturday, September 11, 2010

Are visible tattoos acceptable at work?

"Dear Jenny,


I am about to start a new job as a dental nurse. I have always wanted to get a tattoo and I am thinking about getting one on my wrist. Do you think that would be acceptable at my new job?


-Tattooed Nurse"


Dear Tattooed Nurse,

Since you said that you are about to start the job, I am going to assume that you already have the job. Many professional businesses do not like their staff to have visible tattoos. It would be very misleading of you to start your job with a tattoo after being granted the job without one. I personally believe that having a visible tattoo is unprofessional and does not bode well for the business, but this is something that you will need to ask your boss. I should warn you though, even if your current boss is okay with it, your future potential bosses may NOT like it. Having a tattoo that is hard to cover up will work against you when you are applying for a job (and in this economy, who can afford that?). Unless you are considering wearing long-sleeve shirts for the rest of your career, you should consider either a.) not getting the tattoo at all or b.) getting it somewhere that can be easily covered.



Readers: Please send me new questions! ask.jenny@rocketmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment