Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Noisy children in grocery store


"Dear Jenny



This morning I was at the grocery store and there was a mother in front of me in line with two children in her shopping cart. The first child was standing in the cart and was hitting his brother while the one that was being hit was incessantly barking like a dog at the top of his lungs. After having to watch and hear this charade for five minutes, I decided to ask the mother to quiet her child. The mother responded by berating me and telling me her child has ADD and telling me to mind my own business. Did I act inappropriately in this situation?

-Seeking Peace "

Dear Seeking Peace,

A grocery store is a public place, therefore noise is to be expected. It is not a nice restaurant or a movie theater. Although it might be frustrating to endure someone's screaming child, standing in line is not an all day adventure. Grin and bare it or remove yourself from the situation.  Understand that it is not easy taking two children to a grocery store, especially when one of them has a medical condition. If the mother could have quieted her children, you can be assured that she would have, so asking her to only causes conflict. People do not handle being told how to handle their children very well. Next time, be respectful and deal with it for a few minutes or go to a different line!

No comments:

Post a Comment